Getting back into the swim of things
11 August 2020
After weeks of uncertainty, I am delighted to report that Hampton Pool reopened for lane swimming and family swim sessions on Friday 17 July and will, we hope, be able to extend the range of activities available over the coming weeks. This has been the longest closure of the pool since we moved to year-round operation over 30 years ago. The flood of emails and comments received from so many of you provide the evidence, if any were needed, that the pool is held in deep affection by our local community and that many of you have been desperate to return.
Public Health England recommendations
Through these difficult times we have been following guidance issued by Public Health England and sector organisations, in particular ‘Return to Pools’ guidance issued by Swim England which sets out what must be in place to keep you safe during your visit. Just like so many other businesses, there are many things we must change to comply with current safety requirements. Please bear with us as we take the first steps through reopening.
During the weeks of closure, with many pool staff furloughed, a small team have remained on site to keep everything ticking over, to plan and implement a host of social distancing and hygiene measures and to recreate the timetable to meet government requirements. I would like to thank Simon Bailey, Mickey Thomas and Alex Standen, on behalf of Hampton Pool Trust, for all their hard work.
Once we’re back up and running, our ability to remain open will depend on everyone being patient and respectful towards one other in these unusual circumstances. We would ask that visitors to the site follow the instructions of pool staff at all times and hope that in the coming weeks it will be possible to relax some of these measures, to gradually build up the numbers using the pool and to increase the range of activities we can offer.
Expect things to be different on your next visit to Hampton Pool
A completely redeveloped timetable will be in operation through bookable time slots on the booking app that has been repurposed to meet the immediate needs. We’ll also be asking you to do things differently to normal:
- Customer numbers and activities will be limited to maintain social distancing and swim bookings will be time limited;
- All visits must be booked and paid for in advance. Strictly no admission without a booking;
- The pool will be cleared and cleaned between each bookable session;
- There will be clear routes marked in, around and out of the pool;
- Whenever possible, we are asking customers to arrive “beach ready”, having showered and in swimwear for a quick pool-side change. We recognise that this won’t be possible for all and some limited use of outdoor changing rooms will be possible (see above right);
- Access to toilets will be maintained but there will be no use of indoor showers in the first few weeks;
- Disabled facilities will remain available to those in need.
In brief, the activities that are reopening in the next week or two include:
- Lane swimming in pre-booked, time limited slots, with swimming lessons to follow;
- Outdoor exercise classes;
- Clubs based at the pool who can safely operate within the guidelines;
- A limited outdoor gym facility;
- A limited take away offering from the café.
Activities we will not yet be able to resume are:
- Use of the indoor gym;
- Use of the grass area for social use;
- Clubs that are unable to maintain social distancing.
Members receive regular updates by email from the Trust Board
If you are a member of Hampton Pool Trust and not recieving these updates, it might be because your email address is out-of-date. If you think this might be the case, please send your new address to the secretary here.